Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Purpose of life

This morning one of my good friends S asked me how is life. Usually I answer this question with a smile saying that life is good. I was in a pensive mood today. I didn't immediately answer that life is good. Instead, I wanted to introspect: what is the meaning of life? What is the purpose of life? Why am I here - money, fame, recognition, love, education, work, spiritualism or what else?

According to my friend P, purpose of life is simple: Survive-Reproduce-Be Happy. He believes that Survive and Reproduce are in our gene and it is more to do with the animal part of us. He thinks that there is only one way to be happy.. and it is "be happy".

But can you be mechanically happy this way?

Sometime life seems to be meaningless! Sometime everything around you just seems to be an illusion.

No comments: