Sunday, June 28, 2009

National Anthem in movie theater

Two days back I went to watch a movie in a theater with some of my colleagues. It was after quite a long time (about two years) that I went to a movie theater and first time after coming to Bangalore in September 2007. Once both G and I used to watch movies on every weekend in PVR Spice in Noida. But then we were without kids. Once Krishu was born, we have stopped going to theaters to watch movies.

Ok, that is the background. Now let me come to the main point of this post. Just before the start of the movie, a message on the screen said that the national anthem would be played and requested us to stand. It was something new for me to see the national anthem being played in movie theater. So I was a bit surprised initially. But then I remembered some news about it.

The natioanal anthem then started and all of us stood. It was the most melodious Jana Gana Mana I've ever heard till now. Many of the most renowned musicians and singers were there - Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle, A. R. Rahman, Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, Pandit Jasraj, Kavitha Krishnamurthy, Dr Bhupen Hazarika, Jagjit Singh etc. I was completely spell-bound by this beautiful rendition of our national anthem.

After coming home, I did some google search on the video. I found this in YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh26zOjIh9I

The video itself is old. It was released in 2000 to mark the 50th year of the Indian Republic. It was a Bharat Bala production and music was arranged by A.R. Rahman.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jana_Gana_Mana_Video

The video has got two parts: first part is instrumental and the second part is vocal. What I saw at the theater was the second part.

No comments: