Thursday, April 15, 2010

Down with supersitions! I'll celebrate my bihu

Last two weeks whenever I spoke to my relatives in Assam, they told me essentially not to celebrate rongali bihu this time. Well, they didn't tell me exactly that; but they told me not to buy new cloths for myself, not to give new cloths to anyone, not to prepare any food etc for bihu. I was a bit shocked and wanted to know the reason behind it. They told me that this is a molla month. I asked them what is that? Is it only in Assam or is it the case in whole of India or whole of this world. Most of them couldn't exactly define what they meant by molla month; but I collected two views from them:
  1. There are two amavasya (i.e., new moon) in this month
  2. There are five Saturdays.
Ok, let us believe that both the statements are true.  But why is the fear psychosis then? Are we living in the stone ages or in twenty first century? How two new moons happening in the same month will affect me? It's a natural celestial activity.

I heard that some news channels in Assam are responsible for creating this hysteria over molla month

I'm definitely going to buy some new cloths for me as mark of protest against this superstition. Are you also joining me?

1 comment:

PRAGYAN said...

I don't believe in superstitions related to malamas. But originally it had a scientific base. have you ever asked yourself though we observe every Hindu rituals following Lunar calendar , still our festivals do not revolve around the year like Islamic Lunar Calender do ? It's only because that MalaMash. It was an attmpt to adjust the days and months of a lunatic year with Solar calendar. Nice to visit your blog.