Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Great Awakening

I was born during the Emergency Period of 25th June 1975 to 21st March 1977. I never saw what emergency was; only heard about it later from others. On the morning of August 16th, we experienced some emergency like situation in India when Delhi police arrested Anna Hazare from his apartment. He wanted to go on a fast against the widespread corruption prevalent in our country. The government didn't want him to go on the fast. So they came up with numerous restrictions against his agitation.


How widespread is the corruption? Let me summarize it in one sentence. In every step from our birth to death, we face corruption. We need to bribe government officials to get the birth certificate. I heard the same is true when we try to get the death certificate!

I am an engineer working with a multi-national IT company and belong to the so-called middle class. Usually, the middle class in India have a general apathy to the direct involvement in affairs of the state.

Corruption affects everyone - middle-class or economically lower class. The poor class suffers more as corruption affects them directly in their day-to-day life.Government of India has lots of development schemes for the economically downtrodden class. But thanks to the leakage in these schemes, the real benefits never reach them! Public Distribution System (PDS) supplies subsidized food items to the poor; but it is diverted and sold in black market. NREGA gives some employment guarantee scheme to the poor; but fake identities are created who suck the benefits. (The examples of pilferage are just too many and I don't want to list them all here). On the other hand, middle class have some economic cushion that probably don't affect them so harshly like the poor people.

Let me give you my recent experience with corruption. I paid Rs 30,000/- to register my property at sub-registrar office in Bangalore. Then I again paid Rs 7,000/- to get the Khata (property ownership document) in BBMP office. I heard that there is a big nexus of builder, sub-registrar and politicians in these. (I'll write a separate blogs on these later). I knew paying bribe is bad. But then why did I choose to pay bribe? Because I knew that if I don't pay bribe, I have to make several rounds to the offices, argue with officials, my inability to speak the local language Kannada etc. I thought that time is also money. If I spend too much time visiting these offices, it will put stress on my work-life. I believe I represent the mentality of many of middle-class. We all felt bad and agitated about it; but we felt helpless.

In 2011, we have seen some big corruption cases - like CWG, 2G etc. Then came Anna Hazare, Arvind Kejriwal and their India Against Corruption campaign. Anna Hazare has awakened the sleeping middle class. Middle class is on the street these days. I have already seen that the agitation is gradually percolating down to the poorer classes. (Yesterday the Delhi auto-rickshraws joined the protest.)

I'm joining the protest for a better India, a corruption free India. Are you?

No comments: