Monday, February 22, 2010

Why am I so concerned about Time Management now?

Of late, I have started focusing a lot in managing my time efficiently. What is the reason for this? Well, primary reason is that I now have to spend one and half hours every day from my work hours in gym. Last October I got an injury at my left knee. (I'll write a post on that). I'm yet to gain full strength on my left leg after that. As per the advice of my Ortho doctor, I joined a gym to undergo a post-surgery rehabilitation program. I do my work-out from 11AM to 12noon every day. Then I take a shower. By the time I'm back to my work, it's 12:30PM. Well, it's lunch time then. I finish my lunch and come back to my cube. It's 1 PM. So two hours from my day is gone! Then my two year old son Krishu expects me at home by evening. On top of that, I have important projects at office. On a first look, it seems each of these jobs (office, gym, family) suck time off from the other. It's not so if I manage my time well. Hence I must manage my time so that I don't waste it. Remember that time is a commodity.

My biggest inspiration in my hope to manage time efficiently is someone who led multiple lives in a single life - a professor of Physics at Gauhati University, an Assamese author of repute who wrote many short stories and novels (he won Satitya Academy awards), a famous movie director (he won many Swarn Kamal & Rajat Kamal awards), editor of the famous Assamese magazine Prantik, editor of children magazine Sofura, Chairman of Indian Railway Service Commission etc etc. He is none other than Dr Bhabendra Nath Saikia. How could he achieve so much in a single life? I never had the opportunity to ask him that question. But I'm sure he was able to play so many roles at the same time because he could manage his time well.

For more on Bhaben Saikia, see the following two links:

If Dr Bhabendra Natha Saikia could manage his time to do so many things in a life, why can't I manage my time to do just three simple things - office, gym and family-time?

BTW, I have created a Time Journal for next three weeks. It's a simple excel-sheet with multiple tabs, one tab for a day, that logs my time for every 15 minutes from 8AM to 6PM on all working day. My sample Work Journal can be viewed here.

No comments: